Join the Oklahoma Action Team
No more executions in the Sooner State
In 2015, the concerted action of tens of thousands of concerned folk helped to prevent the execution of Richard Glossip, an innocent man on Oklahoma’s death row. The public spotlight created by our united action made it impossible for the Oklahoma administration to continue its gruesome parade of botched executions.
It’s time for us to come together once more and put national attention on Oklahoma.
Why? What’s Oklahoma up to now?
After Oklahoma almost put Richard Glossip to death with the wrong drug in 2015, Governor Mary Fallin was forced to impose a moratorium on executions.
This year, the bipartisan Oklahoma Death Penalty Review Commission issued a damning report about the state of justice and the death penalty in Oklahoma. The commission unanimously recommended that the current execution moratorium be continued and that major changes be made to the state’s justice system. (And we mean major!) The commission members felt there was no way to guarantee that the state would not execute an innocent person given its current system.
In a knee-jerk response just hours after the 272-page commission report was released, Oklahoma’s Attorney General, Mike Hunter, said he would ignore all 46 of the report’s recommendations. He wants to start up the killing chamber just as soon as the state “gets a handle on the execution process.”
If Mike Hunter gets his way, Richard Glossip will be first in line to be executed, followed rapidly by 12 other men who have exhausted their appeals.
We want to stop him and we need your help. We’re asking that you join the Oklahoma Action Team (OKaT) today.
The Oklahoma Death Penalty Review Commission’s report includes dozens of recommendations that are equally applicable to many other states that still carry out executions. We believe our action to stop Oklahoma from executing could have a ripple effect across the death belt. This is an invitation to all!
What do I do as a team member?
We’re inviting team members to do any or all of the following:
- Learn about the deficiencies in Oklahoma’s justice system by reading our weekly mailings. We’ll be examining each chapter of the report (Forensics, Innocence, the Judiciary and so on) and breaking it down for you so you don’t have to read the full 272-page report! When you join OKaT we’ll automatically add you to the OKaT mailing list.
- Share what you learn with others, especially anyone you know in Oklahoma. Forward the newsletter, or share our tweets and Facebook posts with others.
- Write letters to the editors of Oklahoma’s newspapers, or chime in (respectfully) in the comments when relevant articles are published.
- Write to someone on death row in Oklahoma. These men are held underground, year after year, until they’re taken out to be killed. We can provide you with the name and address of someone for whom a letter makes all the difference.
- If Oklahoma starts executions once more, call the governor, write a letter to the pardon board, share our alerts and posts with others in your networks.
Interested in making a difference? Fill in the sign-up form and join us today.